Saturday, March 10, 2007

My Opinion On Certain Baby Items...

-With a newborn, I have discovered all that I need in the 0-3 and 3-6 months size clothing is a lot of onesies, socks, sleepers, layette gowns and 3-4 nice outfits for the few times you will actually leave the house. (This may vary depending on the number of children you already have. Fewer children means more times you might actually leave the house. More children mean you are never getting out of here, who are you kidding! Adjust number of nice outfits accordingly.)
-Blankets with satin backing look posh, but in reality they suck rocks. It constantly feels like your baby is going to rocket out of your arms and slip to the floor every time you try and move them or pick them up when wrapped in one. Satin edging is fine, as long as it’s just the edges. Flannel and regular woven cottons are best, they can be made into any weight blanket for any season, and they wash up super soft too.
-I don’t use the crib for at the very least the first few months, usually longer. Most babies end up in bed with you no matter what you think, try, or do. But all is not lost, they do begin to sleep in the bassinet you quickly set next to your bed after you figure this out. Mine just end up in bed with me since I fall asleep after I get them to nurse during the night. But I have never had any problems transitioning any of my babies over to their cribs, so it has always worked out for me. So far.
-Those cute little scratch mitts in the baby department might seem like they are a necessity, but don’t be fooled, they NEVER work. Babies can pop them off faster than you can keep picking them back up and putting them back on again. Do not waste your time and money. What does work is a pair of little baby socks pulled over their hands, it gives them room to open and close their fists whilst staying snugly on since a sock is long enough to go down to their wrist, and will actually keep them from scratching their tiny little faces. Which babies do, over and over again, no matter how often you clip their nails.
-Baby Wipes usually end up becoming more than just a diaper changing tool. For me, I use them to clean sticky or dirty faces, hands, and tummies, and a lot of other stuff I’m sure they were never inteneded for, but work just the same. They are just so darn handy!
-Huge diaper bags are not needed, no matter how many children you have. A small to medium sized bag will really take care of all of your needs. C’mon, do you really need a huge, cavernous tote bag filled with half of your nursery and toy box, mixed in with a package of Nilla wafers crushed into dust on the bottom? Yeah, I didn't think so.
-Pull-Ups are really just pull-on diapers for big kids. I know it, and more importantly, my child knows it and will treat them as such. They are not a potty training tool.
-All of my children lost their baby teeth on a weekend, a Sunday, or a time when we had no change or a way to get any for the “Tooth Fairy”. After several fiascos involving a no-show with the Tooth Fairy and a very confused child, I have since kept a small stash of change and a dollar bill or two for just such an emergency. As you can see from a previous post, it paid off big time for Haven. I swear you never know when those teeth will come out, and it always catches you off guard.
-I personally swear by the sling carriers with my newborns when I go out in public. They swaddle, cradle and keep them snuggled up to you, all the while you actually have your hands free. It really works and my babies love them! Plus it keeps strangers from touching my little baby and spreading germs.Seriously, I am astonished at how often strangers feel like they can manhandle my tiny little baby. This stops them from doing that. Durn Strangers!
-A Boppy is one of my most frequently used items with each of my babies, and I have ended up buying a new one each time since I wear them out. For me they are worth every penny, and then some. I love them!
-There is no such thing as too many burp cloths.
-I always carry a travel size scented body spray or scented lotion in my diaper bag. This way if there is an accidental spit-up on me and I'm not able to change my outfit, I won’t have to go the rest of the time smelling like baby puke. I can just give myself a quick spritz or a squeeze of lotion either all over or just on the offending spot. Baby pukies happen a lot, and you might as well smell nice for yourself and those around you.
-For the first few months with a newborn I keep a basket with a good handle and fill it with my baby necessities. This way I am able to grab, with only one hand, all of the stuff I will need for diaper changes, spitups and such so I always have it nearby no matter where I am in the house, and I don;t have to go hunting anything down the first little while. My basket holds several diapers, travel wipes, hand sanitzer, diaper cream, 2-3 burp cloths, baby lotion, spare onesie, socks and a sleeper (sometimes a water bottle and a granola bar for me). This way I can even ask one of my kids to just grab the basket for me and I have everything I need right there. Otherwise I am hunting down everything for each diaper change or accident, and this way I can save myself the headache. I refill the basket each night when I have a minute.
-Granola bars, individual yogurts and bottled water are a lifesaver for a busy Mom with a new baby, nursing or not. It might seem like a waste to buy individual bottles of water, but I find if I do get them that I tend to drink more since it’s easier to grab one and go anywhere. A glass of water just has too much potential for spilling, and water bottles have caps. Granola bars or yogurt can give you a quick boost in between meals or even as a good snack. As weird as it sounds, I get so busy taking care of my kids that I forget to eat a lot of the time, so I try and keep these on hand so I don’t go too long between meals.
*Please note: These are all my own personal preferences and opinions, not intended to insult or offend anyone. You can shoot me down and tell me off too if you want, I do not think I am ANY sort of final opinion or authority, these are just my thoughts on this stuff. The only “absolute”, is that there are no “absolutes”.

No comments: