Thursday, October 8, 2009

quick italian hot rolls w/ hamburger soup


Although I can't remember where I got this recipe, it has long been a favorite of mine and one I have come to depend on when I need some delicious dinner rolls in a jiffy.


Quick Italian Hot Rolls


 


  3 1/2 - 4 cups flour



  2 TBSP. active dry yeast (instant yeast works too)

  2 TBSP. sugar


  2 tsp. garlic salt


  1 tsp. Italian seasoning


  1 cup milk


  1/2 cup water


  2 TBSP. butter or margarine


 1 egg, lightly beaten


 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese


topping:


  2 TBSP. butter or margarine, melted


 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese


 


   Combine 1 1/2 cups flour, yeast, sugar, garlic salt and Italian seasoning. Mix well. Combine milk, water and butter in saucepan. Heat until milk is lukewarm. Butter does not need to melt. Add to flour mixture. Add egg. Blend at low speed until moistened. Beat 3 minutes at high speed. Gradually stir in 1/2 cup parmesan and enough flour to make a firm dough. Knead for 3 - 5 minutes until smooth and elastic. Place in a greased bowl, turning to coat top. Cover. Let rise about 15 minutes in a warm place. Punch dough down. Divide into 16 pieces. Form into balls. Dip tops into melted butter then into the 1/4 cup parmesan cheese. Place in well greased muffin tins, with the butter side up. Let rise, covered, about 10 minutes. Bake @ 375* F for 20-25 minutes, or util light golden brown. Remove from pan to cool. Enjoy!


We had these rolls for dinner last night along with 'this soup recipe' my Auntie found on 'Tasty Kitchen' and posted on her blog. I made it as directed except I used 3 1/2 qts. of tomato juice instead of 3 qts. of V-8 juice, I used 1 1/2 lbs. ground beef because I don't like my soup too meaty, and I used 2 (16 oz.) bags of coleslaw mix in place of the chopped head of cabbage because I'm all for shortcuts. The soup was delish and is a definite keeper. In fact when my friend stopped by in the afternoon, she couldn't stop commenting on how amazing it smelled while it simmered away in the crockpot, and was asking for the recipe almost as soon as she walked in the door. Thanks for bringing that gem to my attention Auntie, I will be leaving a glowing review on the Tasty Kitchen site for sure!

No comments: