Saturday, May 19, 2007

Finley's Birth Story

I am so happy that we were able to get Finley here safely, quickly, and with only a few hiccups during his delivery. We went in early on May 1st to be induced, and as it turned out no one else came in to deliver the entire time I was there, so we had a very quiet stay. Our hospital has excellent nurses in their labor and delivery unit, two of which I had for my last two deliveries, and again this time, so I was thrilled to see some familiar faces. All of the nurses there were incredible and made my delivery and hospital stay so peaceful and the best experience. All was going well with my labor until I stalled out at an 8. The Dr discovered Finn had moved his arm up and his hand was on top of his head, which was preventing me from progressing any further (the Dr. explained it, but I won’t go into details here as it’s a little bit ‘TMI’ for a blog) and would also not allow me to have a regular delivery.
   Another Dr. was called in for a consult, and after about 20 minutes my Dr was able to get Finley to pull his hand down, and we were able to proceed as planned with a regular delivery, not the c-section that they were starting to prep me for, which quite frankly terrified me, but I would have done if necessary. And for another surprise, when Finn was born we saw that he had the cord wrapped around his neck three times. There were no decelerations in his heart rate at any time though so we had no idea, but it was because his cord was so unusually long that it never tightened around his neck during delivery. The Dr was surprised and said he rarely sees cords long enough to wrap that many times around and not cause complications, and I am just so thankful everything turned out so wonderfully.
   It was a great delivery, even though it may not sound like it, but it really was. I checked in at 6am and got my Pennicillin going, the Dr. broke my water at 9:10am to start my labor, and Finley was born at 1:08pm, so my labor ended up being only 4 hours from start to finish. And while Finley was 2 weeks early, he was ready to be here. And even with the little bit of drama during his delivery he still arrived healthy and strong. So all in all, my labor went even better than I thought it would, and we got our sweet little baby boy here safely, so what can I possibly complain about?

No comments: